Saturday, October 8, 2011

Math, I Salute You

I thought I was going to have stand around with some kind of idea-conductive version of the lightning rod, but at last, inspiration has struck. And from the most unlikely of places: Math. Specifically, the math in A Beautiful Mind, and the math in Randall Munroe's xkcd blag (even more specifically, from the post about his study on colour.)

I've been a staunch math-hater for years, but I may come to change my stance on certain aspects of the issue. For example, I no longer despise math when it means 'the written expression of some extremely complex concept.' I can't express it here with the right symbols, but trapezoidal derivatives for discovering the y-coordinates of any given stoichiometric Eidenbacher's function regarding the polyasymptotic parabola of the famous Gondlemann Log-Cosine Proof where x is unknowable are awesome.

Seriously though - some equations look intriguing. Greek letters, super/subscripts and loads of brackets. Tremendous. I merely speculate, but it seems that having a working knowledge of high level math would be analogous to the ostensible awesomeness of knowing Hebrew, Ancient Greek and Old English. And the fact that you can actually do things with those equations is even cooler.

I know, we do things with math all the time. To clarify, when I say 'things,' I mean interesting things. Like building trebuchets, complicated graphs, maps and underwater robots. Math, in the immortal words of one of my old teachers, "I salute you."

No comments:

Post a Comment