Saturday, January 8, 2011

Big White

In a far away land, there is a collection of buildings called Kelowna. A little farther yet, there is a happy and magical place called Big White Ski Resort. With seven friends, I journeyed there. It was like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, except that my friends aren't dwarves and I'm not Snow White. Since the similarity of the two tales is obviously so striking, I won't trouble you with all the details, but there are some that might excite interest. This conversation, for example:

Friend #1: "Ask me what I'm wearing."

Friend #2 looks confused and suspicious. Friend #1 is obviously barefoot and shirtless.

Friend # 2: "Okaay...what are you wearing?"

Friend #1 (to the tune of Just Dance, by Lady Gaga): "Just pants! Doodoodoodoo doo doodoo! Just pants!"

Friend #2 shakes his head.

Friend #1: "Hahaha! I've been waiting to do that all day!"

This conversation was also rather interesting. I believe it immediately followed some uproarious singing along with Taylor Swift in the car on the way home. Note that Friend #2 is severely addicted to Tim Hortons' Iced Cappuchinos.

James: "Hey, feeling better now?"


Friend #2: "I am actually! I can't believe that singing Taylor Swift made me feel better and didn't make me want to puke."


Friend #3: "You just didn't have enough icecaps, that's all."


James: "Haha, true. He probably has icecap instead of blood."


Friend #2: "I had too much blood in my icecap system."


Funny conversations aside, the mountain was the best part. Conditions were a mite foggy, but the snowboarding was supremely fun, and some of us went night skiing. I was busy eating and sleeping, but by all accounts it was extremely fun. I gather there was more fighting with ski poles than actual skiing.

Useful contraptions, ski poles. If you don't have at least one, consider purchasing. They are very handy for such activities as fishing Coronas and Powerades out of the snow on your deck without freezing to death. Not freezing to death allows a much greater appreciation of the incredible scenery in these places: stunted trees bowed by huge clumps of snow (some so bent over that they form arches), the snow covered village center, and happy boarders and skiiers traversing the snow covered streets.

Conclusion: This trip was grand. We haven't hit Happily Ever After yet, but I prefer this story to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves - even though the two tales are so very similar. See?

  • A cornucopia of delicious food > Poisoned apples
  • Eight charming fellows > One Prince Charming.
  • Singing Dire Straits > Singing "High Ho, High Ho, It's Off to Work We Go"
  • Zero wicked queens > One wicked queen

4 comments:

  1. You can hardly imagine the size of the smile I have as reading this. All of my crooked teeth are jutting this way and that in a jovial grin of supreme joy and satisfaction.

    (Plus, I'm glad you added Dire Straits in there. Call me up if you want another lecture on how great Dire Straits is)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I replied to this once, and then thought, "No, I can think of something better than that." And this is what I came up with instead: You are, of course! None of us would bother competing with your magnetic personality *cough* or your studly good looks *barf*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the fellow with his own impromptu version of Lady Gaga seems pretty charming.

    ReplyDelete