Monday, February 14, 2011

Dialogue

I love writing dialogue. It's fun to think about what someone would say in any given situation, and how their conversation partner(s) would respond. Response duration, dropped words, irony - the works. But even at the height of my creative ability, I don't think I could ever come up with a conversation as good as this one.

Ah, I had a unifying paragraph between the above and the next dialogue I'm going to share, but it suffered from a distinct lack of awesomeness. So we'll be skipping it and moving right along to the context. You should know that my eldest sibling is tough as nails. She's great, as far as sisters go, which is why the rest of us enjoy bugging her by outrageously overstating her ferocity and uh... forgetting to mention her good points. Thus:

Sister 1's Boyfriend: "Is she pretty competitive?"

Sister 2: "Well, she did bad at track and field because she was always trying to beat down the other kids."

James: "Yeah. No wonder they don't have javelin throw in track and field anymore. The principal was like, 'Unfortunately, we will not be having the javelin throw this year. Last year, a certain student managed to spear and injure several others."

Sister 1's Boyfriend laughs

Sister 2: "Now you can't injure people anymore!"

Sister 1: "Hey!"

Longish Pause

Sister 1: "...there's still shotput!"

No comments:

Post a Comment