Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Most Ridiculous Scene in Building G

John Stuart Mill: Poetry is, of course, the higher expression of the uncommonly articulate and cultivated mind, which despite retaining a bond with the average citizen - that is, a shared humanity, speaks with near prophetic strain to those complex emotions so strange to the rude intellect of the Tartar and the yet immature mind of the child, and thus it must only be discussed in wretchedly sesquipedalian t-

Student One: But soft! What is this abrupt and interrupting mellifluous odor that wafts 'round corners from coffee cups and curls quietly 'mongst these unfurled books? Why - I feel a thirst! Hence, loathed hunger! Gadzooks! the pangs begin.

Student Two: It wrenches me too. Aching of mid-class fatigue and breakfast abandoned strikes most untimely. Yet, were any time timely? This wallet aches worse! Curse you, Tim's, but oh! Bless you, bless you too. Coffee calls; my veins quicken. Caution be hanged!

Student Three: How those bagels bask in that warm angelic backlit glow! Oh, but I know your ways, deceitful food and beverage sales-place. It is not for nothing that you have sprung up 'longside this thoroughfare. At the Turnpike you waylay innocent travelers and strip them of their silver. But I'll starve before I submit. This poor student frame will have sustenance from text alone, or perish. To the Library hasten I! E'en the wise must be wary ere long, for no man may withstand forever the siren's song.

Exit Student ThreeStudent One observes.

Student One: She runs on Scylla, wishing to avoid Charybdis. Is't Mammon or Prudence she serves, I wonder? Some say the god is doubly named. By my pan! This tension is ode-worthy. To live in squalor with shining eyes and tastebuds euphoric is the true spirit of the romantic, aye, but Coffee is a harsher master than hunger. If Prudence be deaf, what shall I do?

1 comment: