Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Familiar Place

I inhale french vanilla. Clouds look in at the windows. We observe the man far away at the front of the room. The clock hangs over his head. He describes, explains, exhorts:

"It's hard enough (you know) to   keep    the    lion      at     the DOOR." 


"If men within themselves (That's very Miltonic, isn't it? Am I making any inroads here? Very Miltonic.) would be governed by reason, and not generally give up their UNDERSTANDING..."

Gesticulation in crescendo. Staccato emphases. Lulls. His helpless grin supplants frustration.

"Come on, guys! Let's end with a bang. I'm going to stop here. (Yeah, right here.) Just - just fill in the blank. Milton     can     only    ______

Minds wait for words to percolate. Mere synonyms won't do. You must find precisely the right words - have we been reeled in after all? The thought detaches me and and I bob gently in the stream of words. Books do not even have to be opened to be pleasant; hot drinks can be held before they are drained.

Two hours of this is not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. ...sounds like a Pitcher class, though I don't think he teaches Milton... ;)

    ...and FINALLY, a good blog to read. It's been three weeks. THREE WEEKS! I was about to launch a tirade aimed at all my friends in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not Pitcher. Though his Chaucer class has been pretty good so far.

    Also: Stop calling the kettle black, you equally burnt kitchen container.
    Aren't you too busy to be reading blogs? Don't you have lessons to plan? :)

    ReplyDelete