Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Language in the Library

This happened in the library today:

I sat down at one of many wooden cubicles equipped with outlets. There was a bearded guy with a mac set up in the one beside me. I remember he had really blue eyes. I looked around for the usual outlet to plug my laptop into. Couldn't find it. The guy pointed out that the outlet was on the floor. I said "oh yeah, it's inth'floor..." because I'd started speaking a split second before I decided that the time it would take to say thank you I did know there were outlets in some of the cubicles and I expected the ones in these cubicles to be in the same place so when I didn't see any in this one I simply assumed that this particular one had no outlets and was about to move along but not because I thought you were odorous or unsightly or unsatisfactory as a seating buddy in some way was much greater than the usual time that someone would expect to spend listening to a normal response, like "Thank you," or "Oh, there it is."

About thirty seconds after I'd pulled out some vexing assignment guidelines, he said, "So what're you studying?"

"Shakespeare," said I.

"Pretty heavy stuff? Upper level?"

"Yep. I'm doing three other English courses so it's a lot of writing."

He smiled. "Yeah...yeah - hey, if you were asked to describe the essence of 'house' - okay, I'm doing a presentation for educational psych - could you give me a three or four word definition of the essence of 'house'?"

"Uh...maybe...the place where a family is?" I replied. Couldn't come up with anything more profound than that. But he seized on the idea.

"Yeah! That's great, I can work with that. Thanks, that's good." He started typing, and I asked him what his presentation was about. "Language," he said. "It's like how we construct reality with language. I mean, look at the way we capitalize 'I' when we talk about ourselves. Says somethin' about our egos, doesn't it? What if we capitalized 'you,' I mean Y-o-u, and decapitalized 'i'? It would totally change the whole dynamic!"

By now, he really had my attention. Some of my profs had already tried to sell me a somewhat similar idea. I said, "Sounds like an interesting presentation," and meant it. He nodded. "Yeah, I really think the class'll be stoked." He went on to talk about how learning Halq'em'aylem had taught him about different ways of using language to shape reality. He talked about the English desire to name things and take the mystery out of them by naming them. Apparently in Halq'em'aylem they don't have that same compulsion. I asked him how they talked about stuff without having words for it, and his answer was, "Maybe we don't have to talk about everything. Maybe that's the beauty of it. It's not English. We don't have to name stuff like that. We should go back to the language of the land. It keeps the mystery."

It was an utterly odd conversation. I'm still not sure if he was pulling my leg, or totally serious...

No comments:

Post a Comment