Monday, October 18, 2010

The Moth's Return

Here is a little bit of a story that popped into my head:

"Do enlighten me." said the Cat to the Owl in a voice which suggested it actually had very little interest in being enlightened.

"Light!" exclaimed the Moth, who had just returned from the Candle Flame, and the Owl turned its head deliberately around and stared very hard at the Moth. It trembled.

"I-I only thought - I just thought that maybe I'd heard..."

"Obsession," said the Owl, "is a thing which I detest." It paused and glared irritably at the Cat, which had begun washing itself in a very undignified way. "Dignity, and a sense of kairos, of knowing what to say and when to say it, are regrettably rare character traits. Particularly in certain insect and feline species, they are not often brought to li-" It eyed the moth. "to that familiar and...illuminating species of energy which travels at unimaginably high velocities." The moth quivered.

"Careful." replied the Cat with some amusement. "You'll set Icarus off again." It stretched fluidly and yawned.

"Dignity - " said the Owl again, a little huffily, but the Cat interrupted.

"I am the soul of Dignity. Don't lecture me. I am Cat."

"But kairos..."

"Don't use Latin. It's all Greek to me. Besides, I know exactly when to say what should be said - "

"Which is more or less whatever pops into your head. And it is Greek." grumbled the Owl. The Cat took no notice.

"- and I have decided that now is a very good time to say a few words." And it promptly sang this song:

(Insert Cat's song here)

------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I have vague ideas of the Moth, Icarus, as a timid pilgrim who has gone to the Candle Flame and survived. I don't know why there are an Owl and a Cat. But I want the cat to sing something. Because in those days, cats could sing. It's very difficult to come up with a suitable rhyme, because I want it to sound like an old song.
Hmm, maybe Icarus hasn't been to the Candle Flame yet. Perhaps he's on his way. Anyway, when he returns, I want him to be fierce and terrible and use words like "wroth" and "forsooth". Both the Owl and the Cat will be subjugated. Ah, there are too many questions to answer all at once. Is setting important? Are there other characters? What is the Candle Flame - no, who is the Candle Flame? What is the point of the story?

3 comments:

  1. This makes me think of Lewis Carroll. Or perhaps C.S. Lewis.

    I like how the character is really strong in all of them already. So when's the next installment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, as soon as Inspiration strikes. Both Lewis and Carroll, (haha, cool!) are pretty strong influences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot. The personalities are great, especially considering how short of a piece it is so far.

    ReplyDelete