Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Transportation Inspiration


My Series IIA Land Rover was assembled in 1967 AD. Twenty three years later, the empire of Egypt was founded I was born. Twenty years after that, I write to you about our brief and turbulent relationship.

When it comes down to it, the Ancient Relic is really ugly, but in a strangely endearing way. Something about the round British lights and the boxy aluminum body (that's right, no paint) gives it a superior place in my heart to the disgustingly sleek vehicles of 2010. It is equipped with four gas gauges, one of which is functional; two major levers that look like the Big Red Button you're not supposed to push; and many smaller controls that probably were raided from an old biplane. The heater also is currently broken, and the air-conditioning comes in the form of vents under the windshield.

I kid about the plane controls, but it would actually make sense, because at the dangerously high top speed of 120 km/h, it feels like I'm taking off. In fact, I drive by the Abbotsford Airport four days a week...

Control Tower: "Series IIA, you are not cleared for take off, I repeat, you are not cleared for take off."

Me: "What?"

Control Tower: "Disengage your foot from the gas pedal! You are not a plane!"

Me: "WHAT?"

I wouldn't be able to hear it over the rattling, you see. Oh yeah, and I don't have a radio, though it is fun to pretend. I can't listen to the Peak 100.5 so I have to make the music myself. I sing nearly everywhere I go. This song by U2 is a great driving song. "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?" (some Irish song) is great too.

Here's my vote for driving the Rover. I freeze to death in the winter, suffocate in the summer and curse every pothole that rattles my teeth, but I'm right there in the moment, not missing anything. The road is a more intimate place.

PS Most of the credit for keeping it running going goes to my dad, because he helped me fix everything that went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment